Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Why am I here?

         As I began the attempt to come up with an answer for this blog, I found myself at a complete loss. In the past week, I have asked this question of myself on countless occasions. "Alright Dane, now what do you want to do?" There are too many answers for this question. I've felt that I am at a crossroads, where, having decided not to pursue music as a career, I must start fresh in my future plans. Do I want to become a lawyer, a writer, a college professor, or businessman? I have trapped myself into making a decision, believing, in contradiction of Flawn, that knowledge is merely a means to something beyond it. . . ." (258) However, maybe I am asking myself the wrong questions. Rather than asking "what do you want to do", maybe a better query would be "Who do you want to become?" Although the answer to this question is not yet completely clear, I feel that it would set my feet upon the right path, to understanding that "Knowledge is capable of being its own end." (260) Knowledge in and of itself must be the stepping stones which I use to decide who I want to become, and then by extension, what I want to do.

         It is for these reasons that I am so happy to be involved in the Plan II program. I feel that by fulling taking advantage of what the curriculum has to offer us, we will create for ourselves "a life organic and yet shaped", (265) and ultimately find our "way to the green city", to lead a life of heightened intellect and ideal.
         At this point in time, I am still tossing back and forth ideas of what I would like to become and do once I leave this wonderful place I now get to call home. Maybe I will decide to become a lawyer, or a journalist, but I hope whatever I do, it will feed the inner beast that David Brooks so affectionately call "the Big Shaggy".(274) As for why I am here, I know it is to find these answers, to fully know and understand myself, and hopefully to find where I am meant to be in the world as well.



-Gray Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment