Wednesday, November 13, 2013

P2 First Run: Ahhh, Music


The Language of the Soul
         “Without music life would be a mistake.”[2] What a powerful, potent expression. In my opinion, music is the emotive glue that holds every being together. It can make us laugh and cry at once, with no idea why. Music has the power to make us feel. Feel what? Anything and everything, all at once. It is a most contradictorily simplistic notion, one that is difficult to express. Yet we all know what others mean when they speak of a certain piece of music that gave them chills or hit them in the gut like a bullet piercing the Kevlar of their Emotion-Proof Vest. Music is universal, yet extremely personal. Each of us can hear a piece of music differently, yet all of us in some sense are affected. For these reasons and many others, music is my passion.
            Grant it, I am a very passionate person, and thus claim a multitude of other obsessions. I am overwhelmed by the act of learning (which almost became my subject for this essay), and the inspired creativity it can enact. The way a person lights up when they realize the significance of a piece of knowledge. Learning is something we all can love, in some shape or form. In this way it is like music. However, why I choose music as that ultimate, defining passion in my life is because it is the purest expression of what passion really is: perfect emotion, wordless communication. It fills the void where words and even knowledge fail. One cannot describe a color in words, but Stevie Ray Vaughan’s guitar can make me feel as blue or as red or as green as a filtered light in a grimy New Orleans jazz club.
            Although I know that my ardent love affair with music began at a very young age, I cannot trace it back to a specific moment or source. It is an aspect of myself as familiar as an appendage or a cognitive language. In truth, it probably slipped into me around the same time as verbal communication would have. I would have been exposed to it in equal measure. My parents were and are music fanatics, and one cannot be in my home for long without hearing someone burst into song. Rushing through those early developmental stages of life in this climate, I am told I would bounce in my Bouncy-Saucer to the beat of whatever song was playing. Whether this is entirely true, I know not. Perhaps I was simply bobbing and happened along the beat every once in a while. I certainly like to think it was true, if for the entertaining image alone.
Some of my earliest memories as a child revolve around music. The most lasting of these occurred one morning with my father as he drove with me to church. I had recently taken notice of the fact that he was perpetually singing one tune or another. I asked him why, to which he promptly replied, “Well, because I’m happy, bud.” This struck a chord in me, no pun intended. From that point on, music was associated with happiness and happy memories. It took on as well a mystical quality. To a boy, anything his father acknowledges as great are thereafter put on a pedestal. So it was with music.
             Others flashes of the discombobulated color and noise that serve as our childhood memories revolve around the subject. My mother has always loved musicals and classical movies, and thus I was brought up hearing Singin’ in the Rain and Que Sera, Sera from the Man Who Knew too much. My grandfather would sing “You are my Sunshine” to me as a child. Many of these recollections I had never connected to my passion for music until recently. Yet now I see the significance: music has simply always held a positive connotation.
             As I grew, my musical preferences molded into personal taste. Varied over time, this palate has progressed from Screamo in those angst ridden years of preadolescence to the soulful, aggressive blues of Dan Auerbach and Jack White; to the jaggedly raw, impassioned lyricism of Marcus Mumford; and the quiet, simple honesty of the Avett Brothers and Citizen Cope. Some of these artists still inspire me at each listen, while others remind me of painful memories I’d rather forget. Either way, the music remains, imprinted in staves upon my mind. Certain lyrics remain red-hot in memory, as well as do the lives of those who created it. “You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are![3]. . . “My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die.”[4]
                                                          [5]                                                          Bob Marley of course, author of the latter quote above.

At some point I also realized that while hearing music would in itself leave me awestruck, the creation of it could feed me. I sang and eventually picked up guitar, eager to somehow give back to what had given me so much. That doesn’t make much logical sense. It . . . just seemed a sin not to try creating my own interpretations. I thought somehow, maybe, that others could be touched by what I created, just as I had been inspired. I daydreamed about one day having a band, how COOL that would be! I wanted to be that front man on stage, kicking out footlights and smashing guitars. Although this dream has not yet come to fruition in that sense, I did as much in music as a student as possible. I felt that in some small way my actions had maybe inspired someone. There was an instance, for example, wherein a man whom had recently lost his wife to cancer, and came to me after I had performed in my high school production of Les Miserables. He told me that the finale of that show had given him an image of what he hoped heaven would be like. The experience still gives me chills in recollection. I was so very humbled, to think that a man in such pain could somehow take solace in what we had performed.
Hugh Jackman. He played Jean Valjean in the movie portrayal of Les Mis, and is one of my favorite actors. What a badass.

I suppose my explanation is all very well and good, but in the words of Professor J. Gilbert McAllister, “so what? . . . What difference does it make?[7] What does it matter?  Does any of this really matter if I don’t then use the gifts I have been given for the benefit of others? Is this the specific gift bestowed upon me for that purpose? In all honesty, to this final question I have no response. I ask it of myself every day, never any closer to an answer. Of late, I have decided, it seems, that the answer is no. The snarling dogs of reason and logic encircling me, I chose to drop my music major, telling myself that, “I’d never truly make it. I’d end up bitter and unsuccessful, wishing I’d become a lawyer or professor.” This seems sound in reasoning, even still. But then, where has my happiness gone? My cup is no longer filled, soul no longer sure. I debate transferring to Belmont University in Nashville, to pursue music and a major in Music Business. I long to be enveloped by music again. Could I find another passion to feed upon, or is this my reason for being? And yet, the purpose of this essay is not a personal, existential battle, but the aforementioned question. So what?
            The future that I have always wanted-- desperately so-- has nothing in truth to do with monetary reward or large-scale success. To me, the greatest impact any one being can have on the world is to inspire another. It can be a hundred thousand people, or one small child. It matters little. To some the world we live in is arduous, unhappy, and filled with suffering. Yet inspiration can make life glorious in scope and meaning. If your actions can move another to trudge one more day through the mire, to see life as those with inspiration do, then you have obtained success.
            Bearing this in mind, I feel that there are a multitude of ways I could help people through music. Even without making it my career. For the sake of argument, I will choose to imagine that I decide to make my way into the music industry. In five years, I want to see myself on some sort of stage, be it large or small. The setting is in reality unimportant. I would like to have written music of my own, or possibly to have a group with whom I write. I see myself playing this music in a setting intimate enough for me to connect with an audience. I would love the opportunity to create music with those around me organically. Simply allowing music to grow from playing together creates something beautiful, and artists such as Bob Dylan were known for coming up with their best records in this fashion. “He just started strummin’ and we jumped in after about two or four bars. . . There’s no overdubbing. There’s no patching up. . . What you heard is what we did.”[8]
The ability to create such a situation would be an attempt to inspire. I feel that playing music for others would become a service. A way for me to give back to others with those gifts that I possess. I would not wish to do so for personal vanity or gain, but so that others may be moved by what I have to say. This in turn would serve the somewhat more selfish notion of helping answer what I consider life’s difficult questions. We are all here, therefore have something to live for, but what I am here to live for? For what purpose was I given life? If I could somehow find the answers, I feel that these truths would “set me free”. Art is a way for humanity to do just that, and music especially is an outward cry for answers.
Music is an avenue through which we explore each other and ourselves. It is the bursting forth of those emotions we cannot hope to describe. It inspires us in ways not much else can. Therefore to me it would be the greatest achievement to somehow do this with my own music and talents. To leave behind such enduring remembrance of what I stood for could mean that even after I am gone, someone may still be encouraged by what I experienced and subsequently created. That is the torch I would leave behind. A message of understanding and inspiration. Life is not an easy task, but can be beautiful, if one only stops to listen.
I know not whether I will amount to these ends. Possibly I will follow a completely separate path, find some other passion to feed my soul. It could be children, a family, and a normal life. Maybe I really will become a lawyer, or a professor. These options seem no less viable, important, or worthy. They certainly can be avenues through which to help and lead others. Music seems simply to bring such helpfulness from another source: a different way, but no less beneficial to others. At least one would hope. No matter what I decide, I elieve that in my future I will use my life and gifts to make others’ lives a little happier, and a little easier. These ends met, I’ll consider myself a Fortunate Son.

WITH QUOTES: 2043                                                    
WITHOUT QUOTES: 1887




[1] DMCA, "HD Wallpaper." Last modified 2013. Accessed November 14, 2013. https://webtaj.com/cool-music-14809.html.

[2] Friedrich, Nietzsche. Good Reads Inc., "Quotable Quote." Last modified November 2013. Accessed November 14, 2013. http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/4590-without-music-life-would-be-a-mistake.

[3] Partridge, Elizabeth. John Lennon: All I Want is the truth. New York: Penguin Group, 2005.

[4] Marley, Bob. BrainyQuote.com, "Brainy Quote." Last modified 2013. Accessed November 14, 2013. http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/bobmarley383272.html.

[5] Billoard, "Bob Marley." Last modified 2013. Accessed November 14, 2013. http://www.billboard.com/artist/293509/bob-marley.

[6] iamtwixietops, . Baggage Counter, "Les Miserables (Movie Review)." Last modified January 18, 2013. Accessed November 14, 2013. http://www.iamtwixietops.com/2013/01/les-miserables-movie-review.html.

[7] Oliver, Chad. Some Blues for a TrioComposition and World Literaure. Edited by Jerome Bump. Austin: Jenn's Copy and Binding, 2013.

[8] Howard, Sounes. The Life of Bob Dylan. New York: Grove Press, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment